The new Microsoft Windows 11 operating system is available for download. As usual, the standard settings are not suitable for all users. Like Windows 10, the successor is very talkative and constantly calls home. With these tips and tools, you can, for example, tame your privacy settings and set your favorite browser as your default.
Windows 11: Privacy Settings
The big disruptions in Windows are usually security and data protection issues. Microsoft likes to collect what is known as telemetry data to ensure the reliability of the system. The data transmitted in this way also allows to draw extensive conclusions about the use behavior of computer users. To check the current configuration and, if necessary, change it, proceed as follows:
- Open the Settings app, for example using a keyboard shortcut window station + i.
- Left click aggregate and then Diagnosis and feedback.
- Toggle option Send optional diagnostic data If it is activated.
You can delete the data already collected under the “Delete Diagnostic Data” menu item by clicking delete. By the way: You can use the free O&O ShutUp10++ tool to perform these and many other security settings, such as moving your geolocation to a Microsoft server. With just a few clicks you can take back control of your privacy.
O&O ShutUp10++ for Windows 10 and 11
Windows 11: Set the default browser
- Open Settings (Windows + i).
- Select the menu item apps and click Standard Applications.
- An overview of standard applications appears, with which you can now select the installed browser, for example Google Chrome.
- Now set Chrome as default for all entries, such as .htm, .html, .pdf, .shtml, .svg, .webp, .xht, .xhtml, FTP, HTTP and HTTPS. complete.
This makes Chrome your default browser, but not your system browser. Windows 11 continues to open Edge when connected to messages in new tools. The behavior can be changed using EdgeDeflector. You can find detailed instructions on how to do this in the article Windows 11: Change the default browser.
EdgeDeflector for Windows
Windows 11: Create a restore point
After installing a new operating system, in addition to the settings, further work must be done, such as installing additional programs and drivers. Problems and errors are always possible. So it’s a good idea to take precautions – in Windows 11 with a system restore point you can reset your computer to in an emergency. To create such a backup, do the following:
- Open the start menu.
- handle recovery point In search and click Create a restore point.
- In the new window, select the system drive, it is usually (C
and is marked with “(System)”, then click the button Initialize….
- There click the option Activate computer protection Specify the maximum possible allocation of storage space. Two to three percent is recommended at this point.
- Confirm by clicking Yes.
- Now click on construction…To create a restore point.
- Enter a meaningful name for the recovery point and click construction. This was him.
Turn off notifications
“Certified gamer. Problem solver. Internet enthusiast. Twitter scholar. Infuriatingly humble alcohol geek. Tv guru.”