It’s official:is on the way. At a virtual event on Thursday, Microsoft unveiled “the next generation of Windows,” with big changes to the longstanding operating system, including its first name change in six years. The update comes shortly after Microsoft rolled out the latest version of the Windows 10 operating system, the (also known as version 21H1).
Windows 11 includes a slew of new features, including the ability to, and updates to , , and , which is more clean and Mac-like in design.
Here’s every detail we know so far about Windows 11, including price, compatibility, release date, how to download, new features and more.
What new features does Windows 11 include?
Here are a few of the standout new features in Windows 11:
- A new, more Mac-like interface. Windows 11 features a clean design with rounded corners, pastel shades and and Taskbar.
- Integrated Android apps. and installable from within the new , via the Amazon Appstore. (There were a couple of ways to access Android apps on Windows 10, including , but this will make it native.)
- Widgets. While they’ve been around for a while (remember desktop gadgets on Windows Vista?), including in a , you can now , and personalize them to see whatever you’d like.
- Microsoft Teams integration. , and will be integrated directly into the Windows 11 taskbar, making it easier to access (and a bit more like Apple’s FaceTime). You’ll be able to access teams from Windows, Mac, Android or iOS.
- Xbox tech for better gaming. , like Auto HDR and DirectStorage, to improve gaming on your Windows PC.
- Better virtual desktop support. Windows 11 will let you set up virtual desktops in a way that’s more similar to Macs, toggling between multiple desktops at once for personal, work, school or gaming use.
- Easier transition from monitor to laptop. The new OS includes features called Snap Groups and Snap Layouts — collections of the apps you’re using at once that sit in the taskbar, and can come up or be minimized at the same time for easier task switching. They also let you plug and unplug from a monitor more easily, without losing where your open windows are located.
about a week before the event, so we had an idea of some of these features ahead of time.
When will Microsoft release Windows 11?
Windows 11 will be available as an early beta download next week, and as a public beta in July. It will begin rolling out to all compatible PCs and new PCs.
Will my computer be compatible with Windows 11?
To see if your current Windows 10 PC is eligible for the free upgrade to Windows 11, visit Windows.com to download the PC Health Check app, the post said. And if you, that computer will also be eligible for the free upgrade.
How will I download Windows 11 once it’s generally released?
Once Windows 11 becomes generally available around the holidays, you’ll download it the same way you would with any new version of Windows. Most users will go to Settings > Update & Security > Windows Update, and clicking Check for Updates. If available, you’ll see Feature update to Windows 11. Click Download and install. (Here’s more information on. If you haven’t yet upgraded to Windows 10, you may still be able to .)
Will it be free to upgrade to Windows 11?
If you’re already a Windows 10 user, Windows 11 will appear as a.
For more, check out everything to know about the most recent, the and .