- Windows 11 error writing proxy settings issue appears when a third-party app interferes with proxy settings or there is some issue with the selected proxy terminal.
- You can check out our curated list of solutions that would possibly help you fix this issue.
- We would suggest you perform a clean boot of your PC, uninstall unwanted apps, or select a different terminal setting to resolve this issue.
XINSTALL BY CLICKING THE DOWNLOAD FILE
Its been a while since Microsoft officially introduced the Windows 11 operating system. Although Windows 10 was claimed to be the last Windows OS, things changed and we have Windows 11.
Windows 11 brings in some new features over Windows 10. This includes redesigned overall aesthetics, centered Taskbar, new wallpapers, sounds, icons, Settings, etc.
However, one thing hasn’t changed that much, and that is the availability of errors, bugs, and glitches.
Windows 11 users have been constantly reporting multiple software-related issues. Microsoft is also keeping a keen eye on official support pages to rectify most of the issues.
One of the issues, that still needs permanent resolution is the Windows 11 error writing proxy settings.
This issue creeps up when the system fails to get permissions when trying to write the proxy settings. You will see an error message, “Error writing proxy settings. Access is denied.“
Notably, for most users, this Windows 11 error writing proxy settings is showing up when they restart their PCs. A command prompt pops up on the screen with this error message.
Similar to most problems and issues that appear on Windows OS, this issue also doesn’t have a specific reason to show up.
Thankfully, if you are looking for some effective solutions that would possibly fix this Windows 11 error writing proxy settings, you have landed in the right place.
We have created a curated list of the best solutions that will help you resolve this problem. Let us take a look at each one of them.
What are the steps to set up proxy settings manually on Windows 11?
- Press Win + I buttons on your keyboard to open Settings menu.
- Click on Network & internet on the left side pane.
- Select Proxy.
- Under Manualy proxy setup section, click on Set up button for the Use a proxy server.
- Toggle on the Use a proxy server.
- Type the IP address and the port number of the proxy server.
- Click Save.
There are multiple ways to set up a proxy server on your Windows 11 PC. One of which is the method to manually set up the proxy server.
A proxy server lets you establish a connection between your computer and the internet. It acts as a gateway between your PC and the internet.
Several organizations do not rely on the automatic proxy server, and they want to route their connections through a different gateway server. This is where the above steps will help.
How can I fix Windows 11 error writing proxy settings?
1. Clean boot your PC
- Open the Start menu and search for msconfig.
- Open System Configuration.
- Tap on the Services tab.
- Check the box for Hide all Microsoft services.
- Press the Disable all button.
- Now switch to the Startup tab and click on Open Task Manager.
- Disable each startup item, one by one.
- Close the Task Manager.
- Press OK on the System Configuration window.
- Restart your PC.
When your PC restarts, you will have a clean boot environment. This will give you the chance to check for the culprit app that is causing Windows 11 error writing proxy settings.
For several users, a third-party app or software was conflicting with the proxy settings and tried to gain access to edit the proxy settings on your PC.
A clean boot will help you identify the app, as none of the apps startup during the boot process, and you can check if you are still getting the error or not.
2. Delete unwanted apps
- Open the Start menu from the Taskbar below.
- Search for Control Panel and open it.
- Select Programs and Features.
- From the application manager, select all the unwanted programs.
- Hit the Uninstall button for each of them.
As already mentioned, a third-party app could be the reason behind Windows 11 error writing proxy settings issue.
The third-party app could be trying to edit the proxy settings on your PC, which is the reason the error is being experienced by you.
You can follow the steps above and uninstall all the unwanted apps from your system. This will not only clean up the storage space but would also help you fix the issue as well.
3. Use a specialized software
- Download Restoro.
- Start the application.
- RESTORO will begin scanning your PC automatically for errors.
- After the scan is finished, a scan report will be displayed on your screen.
- To fix the detected issues, hit the Start Repair button.
- Make sure not to interrupt the fixing process.
- Reboot your PC.
Restoro is a trusted third-party tool that helps you fix multiple errors with your PC, which also includes issues related to network and proxy settings.
This software is pretty handy, as it comes with all tools necessary to detect and fix system-related errors.
4. Tweak the terminal settings
- Press Win + I buttons on your keyboard to open Settings menu.
- Click on Privacy & Security from the left side.
- Select For developers option on the right.
- Scroll down and under Terminal section, click on the drop down menu.
- Select a different Terminal version.
If you know what you are doing and have experience tweaking Windows settings, then Microsoft gives you the option to tweak almost everything on your PC.
One such setting allows you to change the terminal settings. Several users have reported that this Windows 11 error writing proxy settings issue started showing up after they selected Microsoft’s new terminal.
In such a case, you can follow the above steps and switch over to a different terminal. Once you do that, reboot your PC and see if this fixes the issue or not.
5. Scan your PC for virus
- Click on the upward arrow button on the bottom-right taskbar.
- Select Windows Security.
- Click on Virus & threat protection.
- HIt the Quick Scan button and let Windows Security scan your PC for virus and malware.
- You can also select the Scan options button.
- Under Scan Options, you can also choose Full scan to deeply scan your PC for virus or malware.
While we don’t have any third-party antivirus applications installed on our PC, we made use of the Windows Security Defender.
But the above steps would give you an idea that you need to perform a scan to check for any viruses or malware present on your PC.
You cannot rule out the fact that there could potentially be a virus or malware that is affecting the smooth functioning of your PC.
Since viruses and malware are of different types and they trigger different problems, it will be a safe bet to check your PC for viruses.
6. Fix corrupt system files
- Open the Start menu.
- Search for Command Prompt and run it as an administrator.
- Execute the below command and hit Enter.
- Your PC will start scanning.
- After the process completes, reboot your PC.
- Again open command prompt.
- Execute the below command and hit Enter:
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- Once the process completes, enter the below command and press Enter:
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- You will see “The operation completed successfully” message. Close the window and reboot your PC.
Corrupt system files related to proxy settings could also trigger Windows 11 error writing proxy settings issue on your PC.
So, it is important to repair these important system files, because not only they will help you fix the problem at hand, but also eliminate any other problems.
7. Reset Windows 11
- Press Win + I buttons to open Settings menu.
- Select System from left side.
- Scroll down on the right-side to select Recovery.
- Under Recovery Options, click on the Reset PC button.
- Choose the Keep my files option.
- Select Cloud Download.
- Click Next.
- Choose Reset.
Your PC will undergo the process of reset. If you have chosen the option to keep your files, then only the system files will be reset and once the process completes, you will be able to locate your personal files.
Moreover, resetting your Windows 11 PC should be the last option if none of the above-mentioned solutions worked for you.
Well, this isn’t a new error that has recently started surfacing for Windows users. It was also there with the previous versions of Windows OS.
The other solution that you can apply to hopefully fix Windows 11 error writing proxy settings is to launch the terminal with admin privileges.
Let us know in the comments below which of the above solutions helped you fix the problem on your PC.
You can also share with us any other solutions that fixed the issue for you so that it can help others experiencing the same.
Start a conversation