The Fralin Biomedical Research Institute at VTC is seeking a System Engineer. The incumbent will be part of an IT team whose chief objective is to ensure continuous and secure operations of FBRI’s network, systems and delivered services. Will take the lead in implementation of services, data integrity, recover-ability and security of the environment. This will include actively participating in day-to-day monitoring and administration tasks. The incumbent will have ownership and/or participation in various projects as assigned, and the adherence to established equipment inventory and surplus procedures.
Focuses in particular on industry established best-practices and standards to make administration more effective and more efficient. Will be responsible for all facets of System engineering – design, documentation, implementation, capacity planning, monitoring, troubleshooting, enforcing standards. Incumbent will support enterprise applications in a scientific research environment. The incumbent will manage IT policies and procedures in collaboration with the Director of IT.
The position provides technical leadership for systems and network security by developing innovative and creative solutions to complex challenges with the goal of advancing the field of data ingestion, storage, retrieval, transformation and analysis in support of biomedical research. Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or training and work experience at a level that equates to an advanced degree.
- Expert knowledge in enterprise-level server systems configuration and troubleshooting.
- Expert knowledge in enterprise-level storage (SAN / NAS) systems configuration and troubleshooting.
- Expert knowledge in enterprise-level network (LAN / WAN) configuration and troubleshooting.
- Expert in Linux server systems administration (RHEL, CentOS).
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Server products including but not limited to Active Directory and Exchange / O365.
- Experience developing custom scripts to aid in the administration of tasks.
- Experience developing and deploying software engineering and automation solutions for an enterprise Linux infrastructure using a variety of tools (e.g., Puppet, Ansible, Git).
- Experience with server virtualization environments, concepts, and tools (VMware experience preferred).
- Experience with log management platforms such as Splunk, Greylog, or other software utilizing the Elastic Stack.
- Knowledge of open source projects and community.
- Knowledge of systems security, systems hardening, backup and recovery procedures, and performance tuning.
- Experience performing technical evaluations, analysis and troubleshooting for all supported servers in response to help desk tickets including, server failures, full systems outages and troubleshooting.
- Evidence of creativity, independence, and high motivation.
- Ability to identify highly complex problems, investigate them, address them, and learn from them.
- Ability to work independently.
- Excellent documentation, communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills; capable of training users in applications and operating system fundamentals and writing basic documentation.
- Knowledge of underlying protocols of Active Directory and SSO components, including LDAP, and Kerberos.
- Experience working with sensitive and protected data (FERPA, HIPAA, CUI).
- Experience working with database platforms (SQL, MariaDB, and PostgreSQL) in a scientific research environment.
- High Performance Computing (HPC) and cluster experience (Bright Cluster Manager, SLURM, PBS).
The successful Candidate will be required to have a criminal conviction check
About Virginia Tech
Dedicated to its motto, Ut Prosim (That I May Serve), Virginia Tech pushes the boundaries of knowledge by taking a hands-on, transdisciplinary approach to preparing scholars to be leaders and problem-solvers. A comprehensive land-grant institution that enhances the quality of life in Virginia and throughout the world, Virginia Tech is an inclusive community dedicated to knowledge, discovery, and creativity. The university offers more than 280 majors to a diverse enrollment of more than 36,000 undergraduate, graduate, and professional students in eight undergraduate colleges, a school of medicine, a veterinary medicine college, Graduate School, and Honors College. The university has a significant presence across Virginia, including the Innovation Campus in Northern Virginia; the Health Sciences and Technology Campus in Roanoke; sites in Newport News and Richmond; and numerous Extension offices and research centers. A leading global research institution, Virginia Tech conducts more than $500 million in research annually.
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, sex (including pregnancy), gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, or veteran status, or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees or applicants, or on any other basis protected by law.
If you are an individual with a disability and desire an accommodation, please contact Pamela Stell at email@example.com during regular business hours at least 10 business days prior to the event.
Virginia Tech has a strong commitment to the principle of diversity, and in that spirit seeks a broad spectrum of candidates including women, minorities, veterans, and people with disabilities. Individuals with disabilities desiring accommodations in the application process should notify the hiring department by the application deadline.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.