Requisition Number: S403P
Home Org Name: Office of Information Technology Ad
Division Name: Chief InfoOffice and InfoTechnology
Job Class Code: MA14 E/F
Appointment Status: Full-time
Limited Term: No
Under general supervision, responsible for the planning, engineering, developing, implementing, and compliance monitoring of organization-wide information security programs. This role will be responsible for monitoring alerts and events, analysis, reporting and ticketing for the Security Operations Center (SOC) for the university. This position is also responsible for creating and monitoring all dashboards in the security information and event management (SIEM tools), including Splunk, in addition to other cybersecurity engineer duties.
- Assist in ensuring information security policies and procedures are followed.
- Creates content (queries, dashboards, reports, etc.) in industry leading SIEM tools, such as Splunk.
- Manages the SIEM platform including log integration.
- Monitors and evaluates real-time alerts in conjunction with the SOC to protect university systems and data from unauthorized users and cyber-attacks.
- Supports and participates in SOC engineering efforts such as tool integration, development of automation, scripts, testing of new tools and evaluation of new technologies
- Performs vulnerability scans using industry leading tools, such as Qualys, to detects and classify system weaknesses in computers, networks, and communications equipment and predicts the effectiveness of countermeasures.
- Assesses vulnerabilities and develops appropriate mitigation countermeasures recommendations.
- Participates in risk and vulnerability assessments of planned and installed information systems to identify vulnerabilities, risks, and protection needs.
- Assists in incident response efforts.
- Communicates and coordinates with distributed information technology units and internal technical teams
- May perform other related duties as assigned by the IT Manager.
Education Level: Bachelor’s degree
Field of Study
No specified discipline required
Years of Experience: 4
Area of Experience
Experience configuring, tuning, and evaluating efficacy of key security tools, including but not limited to firewalls, VPN, SIEM, anti-malware, forensics.
Requirements for Additional Job Levels
The Specialist V position requires a Bachelor’s degree and four (4) or more years of applicable IT experience. Typical starting salaries for this level are between $65K and $75K.
The Specialist VI position requires a Bachelor’s degree and seven (7) or more years of applicable IT experience. The starting salaries for this level are typically between $73K and $85K. If hired at the Specialist VI level, the candidate must obtain an industry recognized cybersecurity certification within the first six months of employment.
Minimum Skills and Abilities
- Experienced configuring, tuning, and evaluating efficacy of key security tools, including but not limited to firewalls, VPN, SIEM, anti-malware, forensics
- Knowledge of general Vulnerability Management responsibilities
- Understanding of common types of attacks & vulnerabilities including CVSS, OWASP Top 10
- Must have team leadership skills, negotiation skills, and advanced client relation skills.
- Ability to remain up-to-date with privacy and security regulations.
- Ability to recognize, analyze, and solve a variety of problems.
- Ability to effectively communicate technical concepts to a non-technical audience.
Degree in Computer Science or IT related field.
Cybersecurity Certification CISSP (Security + or CISSP).
Salary Grade: 35
Salary Range: $51,900 – $99,600
Job Category: Information Systems/Technology
AUBURN UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. It is our policy to provide equal employment opportunities for all individuals without regard to race, sex, religion, color, national origin, age, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other classification protected by applicable law.
Special Instructions to Applicants
Auburn University is one of the nation’s premier public land-grant institutions. In 2020, it was ranked 44th among public universities by U.S. News and World Report. Auburn maintains high levels of research activity and high standards for teaching excellence, offering Bachelor’s, Master’s, Educational Specialist, and Doctor’s degrees in agriculture and engineering, the professions, and the arts and sciences. Its 2019 enrollment of 30,460 students includes 24,594 undergraduates and 5,866 graduate and professional students. Organized into twelve academic colleges and schools, Auburn’s 1,643 instructional faculty members-87% of whom are employed full-time-offer more than 200 educational programs. The University is nationally recognized for its commitment to academic excellence, its positive work environment, its student engagement, and its beautiful campus.
Auburn residents enjoy a thriving community, recognized as one of the “best small towns in America,” with moderate climate and easy access to major cities or to beach and mountain recreational facilities. Situated along the rapidly developing I-85 corridor between Atlanta, Georgia, and Montgomery, Alabama, the combined Auburn-Opelika-Columbus statistical area has a population of over 500,000, with excellent public school systems and regional medical centers.
Auburn University is committed to providing a comprehensive employee benefits package that attracts and retains talent to further the University’s mission and contributes to the personal and financial well-being of employees and their families. Employee Benefits include: Health Insurance, Dental Insurance, Vision Care, Cancer Insurance, Life Insurance/Personal Accident Coverage, Disability Group & Supplemental Plans, Flexible Spending Account Plan, and Mandatory and Voluntary Retirement Plans, Auburn University Federal Credit Union, Bookstore Discounts, Tiger Perks discounts on dining, shopping and entertainment, Travel Assistance (Domestic and International), and Educational Improvements for Employees and Dependents.
Auburn University is an affirmative action equal opportunity employer and equal opportunity educational institution.
© Copyright 2020 Internet Employment Linkage, Inc.