The Williamsport Area School Board at its meeting this week agreed to search for a local real estate agency to list and sell Stevens Primary School.
The board earlier this year agreed to close the nearly 100-year-old building and move students who are enrolled there to other schools in the district.
A district resident with grandchildren in the district questioned why some former Stevens students will attend schools not necessarily closest to their homes.
Superintendent Dr. Timothy Bowers explained that such decisions are based more on balancing enrollments for different schools.
In other matters, Bowers reported that many people have recently been hired for vacancies in the district, but more positions still need to be filled.
“We encourage people to apply,” he said.
Bowers congratulated high school graduates for completing their education in the district.
He gave thanks to all who helped plan the graduation ceremony held earlier this month.
The board took action on various personnel issues.
The following resignations were approved: Dana R. Synoski, school counselor, Curtin Middle School; Kathleen A. Musheno, speech therapist, Cochran Primary School; and Kathy M. Shirey, administrative support, high school.
The following personnel were approved for positions:
• Alexis M. Parker, temporary special education teacher, Lycoming Valley Intermediate School, $53,633.
• Amber C. Roatche, temporary English/Language Arts teacher, Williamsport Middle School, $$56,757.
• Elizabeth I. Grassmyer, custodian, $37,980.
• Jordyn L. Gehr, long-term substitute teacher, $53,633.
• Kellie Mantle, food service worker, $12 per hour.
• Shelly L. McKernan, substitute administrative support/aide, $12 per hour.
The board also approved:
• Handbooks for different schools.
• A two-year agreement with West Branch Drug & Alcohol for the Student Assistance Programs.
• The purchase of 25 Mac Minis from Apple, Inc at $649 per unit.
• The purchase of the ClassLink License renewal for the upcoming school year for $16,722.
• The purchase of Microsoft 365 licenses and support from IU13, Lancaster for $82,743.
• A revised 36-month agreement with Trebon Security, LLC. Strasburg, for antivirus, endpoint protection and security at a cost of $39,613.
• A $13,851 one-year agreement with Frontline Technologies to provide employee absent management services
• The addition of one full-time aide position at the high school in lieu of filling three vacant part-time positions.
• The addition of one full-time intervention specialist at Williamsport Middle School in lieu filling three vacant part-time positions.
• An agreement with Larson Design Group on an hourly basis to review and develop sketches for the Instructional Media Center property.
The board met in executive session to consider personnel and legal matters.
Today’s breaking news and more in your inbox