Officials express relief after chlorine leak, fire at chemical plant | #socialmedia


Emergency officials from Iberville Parish government breathed a sigh of relief after a chlorine leak and fire at a Plaquemine chemical facility ended without injuries or residential damages.

The fire began just before 9 p.m. April 18 in a compressor that converts gas to liquid, according to Greg Langley, spokesman for the Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality.

Olin Chemicals operates units inside the Dow Chemical facility. The concentration of chlorine released was less than 1 part per million, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.

Iberville Parish President J. Mitchell Ourso issued a shelter-in-place. Residents were also asked to turn off air conditioners and close all windows and doors.

The shelter-in-place ended about 12:30 a.m. It lasted approximately 3 ½ hours.

“It could’ve been so much worse,” Ourso said. “Nobody got hurt in the complex and nobody was overcome here in the public.”



Original Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

three + one =