N.B. COVID-19 roundup: 1 new case, fully vaccinated rate inches up .1% to 64.4% | #socialmedia


Public Health reported one new case of COVID-19 on Monday and the province’s COVID-19 vaccination campaign made modest gains, with 64.4 per cent of eligible New Brunswickers now fully vaccinated, up only 0.1 per cent from Sunday.

The one new case is a person in their 60s in the Fredericton region, Zone 3, and is travel-related, Public Health said in a news release.

A total of 1,352 vaccines were recorded on the COVID dashboard as being administered Sunday, including 1,139 second doses and 213 first doses.

That’s down from 5,447 vaccines on Saturday — 4,668 second shots and 779 firsts.

The percentage of New Brunswickers aged 12 and older who have received at least one dose remained unchanged at 81.5 per cent.

One new case of COVID-19 was reported Monday in the Fredericton region, Zone 3. There are now six active cases in New Brunswick. (CBC)

This follows the announcement last Friday that New Brunswick is dropping all pandemic restrictions, including mandatory masks, gathering limits and provincial border checks for travellers within Canada, as of 11:59 p.m. this Friday, regardless of whether it meets its vaccination target.

The goal under the path to green had been to have 75 per cent of the eligible population fully vaccinated by next Monday, New Brunswick Day, before ending the emergency order and lifting restrictions.

“Your risk of contracting COVID-19, and of being severely ill as a result, is much higher if you have not been vaccinated, or if you have only received one dose,” Dr. Jennifer Russell, chief medical officer of health, said in a statement Monday afternoon.

“Act today to receive your first or your second dose.”

Russell will be fielding vaccination questions from New Brunswickers during a livestream question-and-answer session Tuesday at 1:30 p.m.

She will be joined by Daniel Landry, an infectious diseases pharmacist from the Dr. Georges-L.-Dumont University Hospital Centre in Moncton.

People are asked to submit their questions in advance via the government’s Facebook page or Twitter account.

“We will do our best to answer as many as we can in the time allowed,” the government’s social media post states.

While provincial COVID restrictions will cease late Friday night, it is important to note that federal border restrictions will remain in effect, Public Health said in the news release.

In addition, some facilities and businesses may choose to maintain their own policies on protective health measures. All employers and employees must adhere to the Occupational Health and Safety Act, which explains duties and obligations related to the transmission of communicable diseases, Public Health said.

6 active cases

With the one new case of COVID-19 confirmed Monday and another person recovered since Sunday, the province’s active case count stands at six, said Public Health.

No one is hospitalized with the respiratory disease.

There have been 2,351 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in the province since the pandemic began, with 2,298 recoveries so far and 46 COVID-related deaths.

A total of 377,846 COVID tests have been conducted, including 378 on Sunday.

Mobile clinics

A mobile walk-in vaccination clinic offering the Moderna vaccine as a first or second dose is being held Monday in Canterbury as part of an effort to make getting vaccinated more convenient and accessible. The clinic is taking place at the Village Hall, 199 Main St., between noon and 5 p.m.

Other clinics accepting walk-ins Monday include:

  • Miramichi — Miramichi Exhibition Building, 11 a.m. to 6:30 p.m. (12 years and older – Pfizer-BioNTech)
  • Quispamsis — Q-Plex, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. (12 years and older – Pfizer-BioNTech)
  • St.Stephen — Garcelon Civic Centre, 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. (12 years and older – Pfizer-BioNTech)
  • Sussex — Sussex Legion, 12 p.m. to 6 p.m. (12 years and older – Pfizer-BioNTech)

A list of upcoming mobile and walk-in clinics is available online.

People can also book an appointment online through a Horizon or Vitalité health network clinic or a participating pharmacy.

Anyone 12 or older is eligible to receive a first dose and they can receive a second shot 28 days after their first.

People are asked to bring their medicare card, a signed consent form, and their record of vaccination if they’re receiving their second dose.

Possible COVID exposure

Public Health has identified a possible exposure to COVID-19. Someone who tested positive may have been infectious while travelling on the following WestJet flights on July 19:

  • Flight 3461 – from Ottawa to Toronto, departed at 10 a.m. 
  • Flight 3404 – from Toronto to Fredericton, departed at 3:40 p.m. 

People who travelled on these flights should self-monitor for symptoms, and if any develop, should self-isolate and take the self-assessment online or call Tele-Care 811 to get tested.

A detailed list of potential exposures, including the locations and dates, is available on the government’s COVID-19 website. It is updated regularly.

Public Health offers COVID-19 testing to anyone who has been in a public exposure area, even if they are not experiencing any symptoms.

UNB grads to attend in-person ceremony

University of New Brunswick students who are graduating this fall will be able to attend their convocation ceremony in person, the university has announced.

Ceremonies will be held for Fredericton graduates on Oct. 14 and Saint John graduates on Oct. 15.

“As a member of the University of New Brunswick’s Class of 2021, you completed your studies during a remarkable and challenging time. With the province’s “Path to Green” well underway, we are extremely pleased to be hosting in-person fall convocation ceremonies,” the university said in an online notice to students.

These will be the first in-person graduation ceremonies the university has hosted since the fall of 2019.

“An invitation has also been extended to those who graduated from UNB virtually in 2020 and spring 2021,” the university posted on social media.

Students who are eligible to graduate in the fall must apply to do so by Sept. 1.

Atlantic COVID roundup

Nova Scotia reported one new case of COVID-19 on Monday, bringing the province’s active caseload to 13.

Newfoundland and Labrador reported no new cases and still has 32 active cases — 31 connected to the Princess Santa Joana, a Portuguese fishing vessel that anchored in Conception Bay earlier this month, one of whom is in hospital. A crew member from the the Santa Cristina, which left Bay Bulls last week, is also in hospital. 

P.E.I. has no known active cases of COVID-19. Two new cases were announced Monday, but they are travel-related. Both unvaccinated people will be included in the case count of their home province, which is outside the Atlantic region, officials said.

What to do if you have a symptom

People concerned they might have COVID-19 can take a self-assessment test online. 

Public Health says symptoms of the illness have included a fever above 38 C, a new or worsening cough, sore throat, runny nose, headache, a new onset of fatigue, and difficulty breathing. 

In children, symptoms have also included purple markings on the fingers and toes.

People with one of those symptoms should stay at home, call 811 or their doctor and follow instructions.





Original Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

thirty six − thirty five =