This article was originally published on August 16, 2007
Hi there – this page will help you troubleshoot some common issues streaming Coastalwatch Surf Cams on your device.
*If there is a problem with the cam you are trying to view, like it’s dirty, not streaming smoothly or not looking in the right direction – stop reeading this article and please send us an email and let us know. We will make sure the camera tech team take a look at it asap: [email protected] .
**Notes on our Cam Cleaning schedules:
We do weekly runs to most camera locations and give them a clean. We also have installed automated cleaning systems on some of the cameras (where possible). These will clean the lens in the early morning. During times of onshore winds, like sumer in QLD, cams can get dirty very quickly and in this case we try and clean the worst areas affected as a priority. Sometimes this means some cameras are dirty for a few days.
4 Ways to fix streaming errors on your computer, phone or tablet:
1. Do you have the latest version of Adobe Flash Player installed?
Click the link below to find out if Adobe Flash is not up to date on your machine – if it’s not install the latest version now. It’s free and only takes a few minutes – all our surf cameras run on Flash for desktop and laptop computers. http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/
Chrome users may have to Allow sites to run flash within their browser settings – https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-chrome.html
Mac & Windows
- In the address bar, type chrome://settings/content.
- Click Show advanced settings…
- Under Privacy click Content settings…
- Under Flash check Allow sites to run flash
- Click Done
If Firefox users are still having issues after installing flash they may have to adjust the Shockwave Flash add-on – https://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/enabling-flash-player-firefox.html
Mac & Windows
- Choose Firefox > Tools > Add-ons
- Select Plugins
- In the list of Add-ons, look for Shockwave Flash (another name for Flash Player) and check the status that appears to the right of the plug-in name
- Select Always Activate
2. Try using on a different web browser?
There are hundreds of internet browsers, try one of these common ones:
– Google Chrome (recommended)
– Apple Safari
– Microsoft Internet Explorer
– Mozilla Firefox
3. Have you disabled your Hardware Acceleration?
Some computers (mostly older Apple Macintosh) require you to ‘disable Hardware Acceleration’ to allow live streaming through Flash. Follow the 6-step process below for Apple Macs.
How to disable Hardware Acceleration
You may have Flash installed correctly, you may see a black box instead of the camera vision. To solve this you need to disable Hardware Acceleration in Flash. This is most common with older Apple Mac desktop and laptops computers.
1. Go to a Camera page on our website.
2. Right click (or Control+click) on the Cam player area. This will bring up a menu.
3. Click Settings in the menu.
4. Click on the display icon at the bottom (shown as #1 in the image above) if it isn’t already selected.
5. Unselect the Hardware Acceleration checkbox (shown as #2 in the image above)
6. Click close, then refresh the page.
4. Could anything be blocking adobe flash player?
Please check your browsers security settings and ensure that nothing is blocking Adobe Flash Player.
Android Phones & Tablets
We recommend using our Coastalwatch Surf Check App for Android: Download our app here
Please note, Ooyala players support live playback on Google Chrome only for Android phones & Tablets. We recommend Google Chrome for the best Coastalwatch & Coastalwatch Plus experience.
Coastalwatch PLUS members: The Plus website supports live ad-free streaming of all surf cams on most Android mobile and tablet devices through an internet browser or by logging into the Hurley Surf Coastalwatch App.
NEW: Coastalwatch.com supports streaming of surf cams through Android Devices. For an Ad-Free service on mobile devices you must have a Coastalwatch Plus subscription.
**Note: Due to the open nature of the Android operating system we cannot guarantee all smart phones & tablets using the supported software will successfully stream our surfcams. For further help in troubleshooting please contact our Customer support team. [email protected]
Apple iPhones, iPods & iPads
We recommend using our app Coastalwatch Surf Check App for iPhone & iPads: Download our App here
Coastalwatch PLUS members: The Plus website supports live ad-free streaming of all surf cams on iPhone, iPad & iPod through an internet browser or by logging into the SurfStitch Surf Check App.
Coastalwatch.com supports streaming of Live surf cams through Apple devices with ads.
Still having trouble?
If you are still having problems, please send us an email at [email protected]
Include the following information in your email so we can start looking into your problem:
1. Name and Model of Computer, Device or Hardware.
2. Operating system: (eg: Windows XP sp2, Mac Osx Lion, Mac iOS 5)
3. Internet Browser: (eg: Firefox 14, Internet Explorer 7)
4. Internet connection type and speed: dial up / broadband
5. Flash player version
6. Do you have a Firewall or security software: yes / no if yes what firewall software?
7. Surf Camera you are having problems with.
8. Screen grab of the issue if possible.
9. Any other information you find important.
Get your CompTIA A+, Network+ White Hat-Hacker, Certified Web Intelligence Analyst and more starting at $35 a month. Click here for more details.