This tutorial is about the How to Disable Automatic Chrome Updates on Mac and Windows 10. We will try our best so that you understand this guide. I hope you like this blog How to Disable Automatic Chrome Updates on Mac and Windows 10. If your answer is yes then please do share with your friends after reading this.
Check How to Disable Automatic Chrome Updates on Mac and Windows 10
Chrome is the most powerful browser used by 65% of people around the world. Previously, Google forced some feature in Chrome like not choosing to remove the bookmarks bar and it is not available to remove the favicons on the new tab page. Later, Google introduced additional options to disable the bookmarks bar and remove favicons with version 69. However, automatic update is still an annoying feature forced on users. In this article, we will explain how to disable automatic updating of Chrome on Windows and Mac computers.
Google Chrome updates are attractive and unobtrusive. However, if you have decided that you do not want them to run automatically, there is no setting in your browser to disable them. For people who prefer a more granular level of control over their updates, that’s a problem. Fortunately, Windows users can disable automatic updates in a few easy steps.
Disable automatic Chrome updates from Windows system settings
Using the System Settings menu in Windows, one can easily disable Chrome’s automatic updates in Windows.
- Press Windows + R keys and open the Run menu.
- Type msconfig and press the Enter key to open the System Configuration menu.
- Go to the Services tab.
- Scroll down and uncheck both Google Update Service dialogs.
Open Google Chrome and go to the About Chrome menu. You will see an error that Chrome did not check for new updates.
Use Windows Service Manager
The Windows Service Manager offers a look at all the background services available on your Windows PC. Using the same menu, one can disable / enable automatic Chrome updates on the device.
Follow the steps below to make the necessary changes.
- Press Windows + R keys and open the Windows Run menu.
- Type service.msc and press the Enter key.
- It will open the Services menu on your PC.
- Look for Google Update (gupdate) and Google Update (gupdatem) in the list.
- Double click on it and the Properties menu will open.
- Go to the General tab.
- Click on the startup type and select Disabled from the next menu.
Click OK at the bottom and restart your PC to implement the changes.
Change the automatic update URL for Chrome (Mac)
Mac users, this is for you. The steps on Mac are different compared to Windows. Let’s review them.
- Open the Finder menu on Mac.
- Go to the application folder.
- Find the Google Chrome app and right-click on it.
- Select Show packaged content and open the Content folder.
- Open the info.plist file. Remember that you must have editors like Xcode to open a plist file. Also, you must have write permission for both the Contents folder and the Info.plist file to edit.
- Find KSUpdateURL and rename the URL from the string value to something else.
Close the current window and you are good to go without automatic updates to Chrome on Mac.
Rename the Google Chrome update folder (Mac)
Google Chrome creates an update folder on the device to run the automatic update process in the background. You can rename that folder to something else to stop the automatic update process.
- Follow the steps below.
- Open the Finder menu on Mac.
- Go to your Mac’s drive.
- Go to Library> Google folder.
- You will find the Google Software Update inside.
Rename the folder to something else and it should disable Chrome’s automatic update on Mac. Sometimes when you try to update Google Chrome manually, the browser recreates this folder in the Library menu. In such cases, automatic update will be enabled again. Chrome update URLs can also be blocked on Windows and Mac. But there is a problem with the method. If Google decides to use a different URL to update the browser, you will see the automatic update in the background.
Final words: How to Disable Automatic Chrome Updates on Mac and Windows 10
I hope you understand this article How to Disable Automatic Chrome Updates on Mac and Windows 10, if your answer is no then you can ask anything via contact forum section related to this article. And if your answer is yes then please share this article with your family and friends.