Bookmarks are an incredibly useful tool to save websites you might need later. At least, until you no longer need that website. Then they can become more of a nuisance than a benefit. Today we’ll help you remedy that by showing you how to delete bookmarks on Chrome, Edge, and Firefox.
We’ll be covering the process for both individual bookmarks and all of the bookmarks in your browser. Removing all bookmarks will give you a completely clean slate, but you may want to export them first so you have a backup.
The process to get rid of a bookmark is similar across all three browsers we’ll cover today, but, as you’ll quickly learn, there are some key differences to UI that you’ll need to be aware of.
How to Delete Bookmarks on Chrome from The Bookmark Bar or Webpage
The easiest way to remove a single bookmark in Chrome is through your bookmark bar or by visiting the webpage directly.
- Option 1: Right-click the bookmark in your bookmark bar and press “Delete”
- Option 2: Delete the bookmark by visiting its site
Type the URL in your address bar or click the existing bookmark icon to open the website.
- Click the star next to your address bar, and press “Edit bookmark”
- Press “Remove”
How to Delete a Bookmark in Chrome with the Bookmark Manager
If you have many bookmarks, it may be easier for you to delete them using Chrome’s bookmark manager. This allows you to search for specific webpages to find them easier.
- Go to “chrome://bookmarks”, press the three dots next to the page, and click “Delete”
How to Delete All Bookmarks on Chrome
To wipe your Chrome bookmarks entirely, you can make use of the bookmark manager and a handy shortcut. Just be aware that once you delete them, there’s no restoring them without a local backup.
- Go the bookmark manager, press Ctrl + A, then hit “Delete” in the top-right
You can get to the bookmark manage quickly by pasting
chrome://bookmarksin your address bar.
How to Delete an Edge Favorite from the Bookmarks Bar or Favorites Flyout
In Edge, bookmarks are referred to by their classic name – favorites. However, since the switch to the Chromium browser engine, the process is almost identical to Chrome.
- Option 1: Delete the bookmark from your bookmark bar
If you have the bookmark bar enabled, the easiest way to remove a bookmark in Edge is by right-clicking it there and pressing “Delete”.
- Option 2: The Favorites flyout
If you don’t have the bookmark bar enabled, you can instead press the three dots in the top right-corner of your browser and click “Favorites”.
Alternatively, hit “Ctrl + Shift + O” at the same time.
- Right-click a bookmark and choose “Delete”
How to Delete an Edge Bookmark with the Edge Bookmark Manager
If you have a lot of bookmarks, it may be easier to use the Edge bookmark manager. This will grant you access to the bookmark search function, which will make it far easier to find the page you’re looking for.
- Go to “edge://favorites”, tick your bookmark, and press “Delete”
How to Delete All Edge Bookmarks
If you want a clean slate, the bookmark manager is your friend. You can completely wipe your bookmark history in a few seconds:
- Go to “edge://favorites”, press “Ctrl + A”, and click “Delete”
How to Delete a Bookmark in Firefox from the Bookmark Flyout
In Firefox, you can also use the bookmark flyout menu to delete them. Despite being developed in an entirely different engine, the process to remove bookmarks in Mozilla’s browser is quite familiar.
- Press the hamburger menu in the top right and click “Bookmarks” in the list
- Right-click the bookmark in the “Recents” section and press “Delete Bookmark”
How to Delete a Bookmark in Firefox with the Bookmark Manager
If you bookmarked the page a while ago or have a lot of bookmarks to search through, its better to use the Firefox Bookmark Manager:
- Click the hamburger icon in the top right and click “Bookmarks”
- Press “Manage bookmarks” at the bottom of the list
- Click “Bookmarks Toolbar” in the sidebar, right-click your bookmark, and press “Delete Bookmark”
How to Delete All Firefox Bookmarks
Just like Chrome and Edge, you can easily remove all bookmarks in Firefox via the Bookmark Manager. Here’s how:
- Press the hamburger icon in the top-right and click “Bookmarks”
- Press “Manage bookmarks”
- Press “Ctrl + A” on your keyboard, right-click any bookmark and click “Delete Bookmarks”
If you want to keep your bookmarks but just want them to stop showing on every page, you should follow our how to hide the bookmark bar guide instead. It’ll show you how to have it show on just the new tab page or get rid of it entirely.
Extra: How to Clear Browsing History on Chrome, Edge, or Firefox
Now that you’ve removed the bookmarks from your browser, you might want to clear your history, too. Follow our existing guide to do just that.