RESEARCH TRIANGLE PARK – As TechWire reported on Friday, job openings in North Carolina are so abundant that there’s one job opening for every unemployed person in the state. But the demand for help doesn’t appear to be cooling with three of six major jobs boards reporting an increase in openings as a new week begins.
Overall, North Carolina’s unemployment rate has declined by 3.1 percentage points over the last year, but much of that momentum took place in late-2020 and early-2021. The seasonally adjusted rate dropped from 7.3% in September 2020 to 5.9% in January, then to 5% in April. And now, after about six months of slow but steady declines, the rate stands at 4.2% in September—down 0.1% from August.
Nearly half US companies say they are short on skilled workers
Here’s an overview of the number of local jobs posted on national job boards compared to last week, as of Sunday afternoon.
- ⇓ Wake County: 38,989 jobs (-3,404 from a week ago)
- ⇑ Raleigh: 23,121 (+109)
- ⇓ Durham County: 9,419 (-958)
- Dice.com (using the 5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 16,816 (+305)
- ⇑ Durham: 16,582 (+307)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 16,401 (+299)
- Glassdoor: ⇑ 47,930 jobs in the Research Triangle Park area (+5,126)
- Indeed (5-mile radius filter):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 16,141 (+156)
- ⇑ Durham: 9,971 (+140)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 3,455 (+32)
- InHerSight: Pages upon pages of jobs across the RTP area
- LinkedIn (using the “exact location” and “0-miles” filters):
- ⇑ Raleigh: 27,880 (+424)
- ⇓ Durham: 13,146 (-546)
- ⇑ Chapel Hill: 2,683 (+150)
- Remote Tech Jobs: Several remote jobs offered by Triangle-area employers
- ZipRecruiter (5-mile filter):
- ⇓ Raleigh: 32,653 (-2,181)
- ⇓ Durham: 14,333 (-321)
- ⇓ Chapel Hill: 3,551 (-1)
WRAL TechWire’s weekly Jobs Report compiles the latest information from the region’s top job boards, offering a breakdown of how many jobs are posted, which companies are hiring and for what positions. We’ve also included upcoming job fairs, student-centric resources and a list of Twitter accounts that track local job openings.
The latest figures from the North Carolina Department of Commerce show that the top three major industries to see gains last month were trade, transportation and utilities, with 5,700 jobs, professional and business services, with 3,900, and other services, with 1,200. However, declines were seen across government (down 4,400 jobs), education and health services (3,300), financial activities (700) and manufacturing (300).
Labor crunch: For every unemployed person in NC there’s a job opening
The pace of hiring also appears to be cooling for high-demand jobs in information technology. According to the North Carolina Technology Association’s September 2021 IT Jobs Trends report, high-tech job openings across North Carolina dropped to 39,030 last month from 42,842 in August, but overall, the latest figures still reflect a 37% boost from this time last year.
Behind Charlotte, Raleigh and Durham/Chapel Hill are the second- and third-hottest metro areas for IT jobs, with 11,924 and 4,073 openings, respectively. Software developers are in the highest demand, with 11,850 openings, followed by IT project managers, computer systems engineers/architects, network and computer systems administrators, and information security analysts.
The following Jobs Report shows plenty of software and IT jobs available across the Triangle region. The demand spans multiple sectors and employers of any size, from startups to multinational corporations. Life science jobs are also at a premium, especially at large firms like Seqirus. The flu vaccine developer has dozens of openings at its manufacturing site in Holly Springs.
Startup Job Search Sites
Aside from the boards above, job seekers can also find local startup jobs at SimplyHired (253 startup jobs near Research Triangle Park), LinkedIn (7,787 results in and around Raleigh), Indeed (330 startup jobs in/near RTP), and AngelList (job openings in Raleigh, Durham and across North Carolina).
Here’s a look at local and regional job sites, listed in alphabetical order:
AMA Triangle, the fifth-largest chapter in American Marketing Association’s nationwide network, aims to be a go-to resource for all things marketing in the Triangle. AMA Triangle provides professional training, free career webinars and a job board offering free resume placement for marketing professionals.
As of Sunday afternoon, AMA Triangle’s job board shows 67 marketing jobs in Raleigh, 33 in Durham and 16 in Chapel Hill (using the 25-mile radius filter).
Only two new jobs were posted last week:
- Raleigh-headquartered insurance firm Curi added an opening for a marketing director.
- The Greater Raleigh Convention and Visitors Bureau is looking to hire a content marketing manager.
Durham-based startup hub American Underground regularly posts job openings on its job board. Job seekers can filter their search by job function, location, company, industry and job title. As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 219 jobs at 39 companies.
Four new jobs were posted on the site over the last week:
- Workforce software provider CloudFactory is looking to hire an HR business partner in Raleigh.
- Insurtech startup Policygenius added three openings: A customer research lead in Durham, a remote senior email marketing associate and a remote operations associate (this position is for veterans or transitioning service members).
Bio Jobs Hub
Earlier this year, WRAL TechWire and the North Carolina Biotechnology Center launched a Bio Jobs Hub platform focused on biopharma manufacturing — one of North Carolina’s largest industries, employing over 26,000 people.
Typical biopharma jobs include process technicians, maintenance and/or instrumentation technicians, quality assurance and quality control associates, process development scientists and process engineers. This industry also offers competitive entry-level salaries, from $42,000 to $60,000.
Looking for new career? Here are 5 reasons to consider biopharma manufacturing
Scientists, skilled laborers and recent graduates can use the Bio Jobs Hub resource to find career and training opportunities in their area. Users can search by location, job category/activity and region.
Many biopharma companies are hiring in the Triangle, including large employers like Biogen in Research Triangle Park, bioMérieux in Durham, GSK in Zebulon, Merck & Co. in Durham, Novo Nordisk in Durham and Clayton, Pfizer in Sanford, and others.
Leadership Triangle’s job board is packed with local jobs. The site displays 640 openings at 28 companies as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s been posted in the last week:
- Bland Landscaping added openings for a landscape enhancement installation foreman in Durham, a landscape installation foreman in Apex, and three landscape maintenance foremen in Apex, Durham and Pittsboro.
- Blue Cross NC added over a dozen positions in Durham, including VoC insights and performance director, product developer, principal strategic advisor, operations SHP manager, customer experience strategic advisor, program manager, strategy and new ventures manager, salesforce administrator, senior strategic advisor in enterprise strategy, divisional portfolio management manager, senior infrastructure design engineer, government affairs director, client delivery expert, principal strategic advisor in enterprise strategy.
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (WRAL TechWire’s parent company) in Raleigh is hiring a news production assistant, a project lead and a radio account executive.
- Coastal Credit Union seeks a mortgage servicing specialist temp in Raleigh.
- Medicago added two openings for microbiology quality control technicians in Durham.
- North Carolina Central University in Durham posted several positions, including assistant professor (department of communication sciences and disorders), college of health and sciences dean, Dan Blue endowed chair, project manager engineer, auditor, facility maintenance technicians in mechanical trades (two openings), electrician, facility maintenance supervisor and nurse practitioner.
- Self-Help Credit Union is hiring a universal banker in Durham.
- Truist added several jobs in Raleigh. Open positions include relationship bankers (two openings), cluster branch leader, wealth trust account services analyst, lead infrastructure engineer, software engineers (two openings), cybersecurity group manager, fiduciary intern, Linux systems analyst and IT project manager.
- William Peace University in Raleigh is looking to add a director of admissions.
The North Carolina Biotechnology Center’s extensive jobs board lists open jobs and internships from local life science companies and research organizations. Users can filter by job category, employment type (full-time, part-time and contractor), keywords, postal code and radius.
NCBiotech also touts jobs through its Bio Jobs Hub program.
Dozens of jobs were added to NCBiotech’s board over the last week (since Oct. 18):
- Senior associate/vice president of venture capital at Amzak Health in Raleigh
- Immunology research associates (multiple openings) and immunology scientist at AskBio in Durham
- Quality assurance specialist and immunology process development scientist at CoImmune in Durham
- GMP project manager, research technicians (two openings) and communications manager at the Duke Human Vaccine Institute in Durham
- Process and analytical development scientist at Enzyvant Therapeutics in Durham
- Indirect procurement director at Grifols in Clayton
- Seqirus in Holly Springs added several openings, including: Statistician, senior QA GLP specialist, QC immunology analyst, associate director of R&D QA clinical trial material, global R&D QA GLP director, quality specialist, senior R&D QA specialist, mechanic, manufacturing quality systems specialist, CMO analyst, FCC development director, QC immunology analyst, senior communications business partner, senior supply chain planning manager, supply chain material planner, technical development scientist, process sciences engineer, manufacturing associate, QA supplier management specialist, process engineer, associate director of learning and development, validation specialists, product technical complaints global system manager, technical development project manager, analytical science and technology specialist, QC analyst, cell and molecular analytics scientist, QA specialist, senior quality control manager, senior regulatory affairs CMC manager, MS&T engineers, laboratory support technician, supply chain MRT lead and SA-mRNA principal engineer.
- Lab technologist trainee in cytogenetics at LabCorp in Durham (training will be provided)
- Senior scientist/associate director of nonviral delivery and director/senior director of gene editing vector core at Life Edit Therapeutics in RTP
- Engineering manager, technical operations manager, project manager and legal counsel at Locus Biosciences in RTP/Morrisville
- Entry-level chemist or biochemist and chemist/biochemist intern at MedKoo Biosciences in Morrisville
- Environmental monitoring special studies intern, buyer/planner specialist, quality associate specialist and senior operations specialist at Merck & Co. in Durham
- Research analyst at the North Carolina Biotechnology Center in Durham
- Analytical development associate director, analytical development associate, internal communications manager and regulatory affairs associate at Precision BioSciences in Durham
- Supply chain director at Shattuck Labs in Durham
- Contract services research scientist and production research associate at ZenBio in Durham
The North Carolina Technology Association (NC TECH) has an interactive job board you can use to find your next career opportunity. Users can search by keyword, location, category, type (contract, full-time, part-time or temp to full-time), experience and education level.
Only one new local job was added in the last week: Publishing software provider BlueMatrix has an opening for a support operations specialist in Durham.
Last week, materials science firm Corning added a few jobs in Durham, including design assurance engineer, equipment engineering manager, equipment engineer and tubular glass converting engineer.
Raleigh Founded, a startup incubator and coworking space, has its own job board. Job seekers can filter results by company, company size or industry. The site currently lists 340 positions at 30 companies, as of Sunday afternoon.
Here’s what’s new on the site over the last seven days:
- Raleigh software startup Pendo added listings for a global channel sales VP (remote), an IT engineer, and an IT support specialist.
- Veeva Systems, a cloud software provider with an office in Raleigh, is seeking talent for several remote positions: Product management VP, business consulting talent partner (multiple openings), senior product manager, director of finance and HR IT systems, commercial products validation lead, training program manager, senior threat and vulnerability management engineer, senior security engineer, senior application security engineer, security engineer, regulatory officer liaison, payroll accounting analyst, CSV test automation manager and associate security engineer.
- MedPharm, a product design and development firm, is hiring a quality control technician in Durham.
- Levitate, a client communications software platform, is hiring a sales representative in Raleigh.
Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster
This isn’t a job board per se, but the Research Triangle Cleantech Cluster’s list of job search sources is a helpful resource for job seekers in the clean energy sector. The list has links to career opportunities from the organization’s members and partners.
Triangle Region Job Board
Leadership Triangle, Raleigh Founded and American Underground recently teamed up to create the Triangle Region Job Board, which synthesizes all of the openings posted on the organizations’ job boards. (Those openings are listed under their respective subheadings above.)
As of Sunday afternoon, the site shows 1,882 jobs from 86 companies. The latest Triangle-area openings (excluding remote jobs) come from the following employers:
- Bland Landscaping (Durham, Apex, Pittsboro, Wake Forest)
- Blue Cross NC (Durham)
- Capitol Broadcasting Company (Raleigh)
- Citrix (Raleigh)
- CloudFactory (Raleigh)
- Coastal Credit Union (Raleigh)
- Levitate (Raleigh)
- Medicago (Durham)
- MedPharm (Durham)
- North Carolina Central University (Durham)
- Pendo (Raleigh)
- Policygenius (Durham)
- Self-Help Credit Union (Durham)
- Truist (Raleigh)
- William Peace University (Raleigh)
Work in the Triangle
Work in the Triangle, a Wake County Economic Development program, shares new openings daily through its Twitter feed, @WorkTriangleNC. And the search continues to be intense for talent to fill thousands of open jobs both inside and outside the Triangle tech sector.
Every Tuesday, Work in the Triangle’s #TriangleTuesdays hashtag lists hot jobs.
Posts from last Tuesday (Oct. 19) included openings from:
Scroll through the #TriangleTuesdays hashtag on Twitter for more details on the openings.
New Jobs at Mycovia Pharmaceuticals
Last month, RTP-based Mycovia Pharmaceuticals told TechWire that it’s hiring for several positions in project management, market access, insights and analytics, marketing and quality assurance. The late-stage biopharma company is developing drugs to meet women’s health needs.
A Mycovia spokesperson says it plans to add around nine employees through the fourth quarter of 2021. Its current headcount is 21.
Open positions include:
- Commercial project manager
- Director of trade and patient support
- Senior director of pricing and contract analytics
- VP of value access and trade
- Senior director of insights and analytics
- Senior product manager
- Quality assurance manager
Read more and apply here.
New Jobs at Terra Dotta
Chapel Hill-based edtech company Terra Dotta told TechWire in late-August that it’s continuing to hire in the greater RTP area and anticipates another 10 new hires across sales, product development and marketing before the end of the year. The firm already has about 35 employees in the Triangle area.
Its latest openings are for a product marketing manager and a professional services manager. Read more and apply here.
The boost in hiring comes as the company just made the Inc. 5000 list and is celebrating its 20th anniversary. Terra Dotta CEO Anthony Rotoli says, “This level of growth isn’t as common in a more mature company, but we are actively hiring to continue a high growth trajectory and support the international program and global engagement priorities of higher education, both in North Carolina and nationwide.”
Six upcoming job fairs off opportunities to match candidates, companies
Upcoming Job Fairs and Career Events
NC Graduate & Professional School Information Fair: Oct. 27, 12-6 p.m. (online)
This virtual career event will connect employers with students from Davidson College, NC State University, UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Wilmington and Wake Forest University.
Innovative Careers for PhDs: Nov. 3, 10 a.m. – 2 p.m. (online)
This free webinar will explore post-PhD careers in startups and private industry. The event will feature a keynote from Dara Wilson-Grant, associate director of UNC’s Office of Postdoctoral Affairs, as well as a workshop on transferable skills and breakout sessions with alumni.
NC Master’s & Doctoral Virtual Career Fair: Nov. 4, 12-4 p.m. (online)
Duke University, NC State University, UNC Chapel Hill, UNC Charlotte, UNC Greensboro and Wake Forest University will convene hundreds of advanced degree alumni, candidates and postdocs to meet with companies looking for new talent.
NC State’s Data Science Virtual Career Expo: Nov. 9, 10 a.m. – 3 p.m. (online)
NC State students and alumni who are interested in pursuing a career in data science can join this virtual career expo to meet employers and learn more about the field.
Startup Internship Meet and Greet: Nov. 10, 4 p.m. @UNC Chapel Hill, Polk Place
Innovate Carolina and Central Carolina Community College are hosting an event for students to network and explore internship opportunities with local startups.
NC State’s Spatial Connect Virtual Career Fair: Nov. 17, 1-5 p.m. (online)
Students interested in geospatial analytics and spatial data science can join this virtual career fair to learn more about the field and network with employers.
Wake Tech Community College Business & IT Spring 2022 Career Fair: Feb. 9, 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. (online)
In February 2022, Wake Tech will host an online job fair for business and information technology students looking for new career opportunities.
More Job Resources for Local Students
If you’re a student looking for an internship or entry-level position at a local company or organization, your university has resources to help you get started. Quick links below:
Twitter Accounts to Follow
Here are some locally run Twitter accounts that regularly share job openings in the Triangle: