July 22, 2021, 5:37 PM
Ecuador’s state-owned Corporacion Nacional de Telecomunicaciones, or CNT, has been fighting a ransomware attack for a week, Telecommunications Minister Vianna Maino said in a press conference.
- The “very serious, high-level and costly attack” on July 14 affected specific areas of CNT operations including billing and activation, Maino said, without commenting on the source of the attack
- System tests continue as affected services are restored
- CNT immediately reacted to isolate systems, safeguard data and restore services, while telephone and internet services remained unaffected
- CNT’s timely response helped avoid a data leak
- Company received an automatic ransom demand as part of the …