But why did today’s leading social network platform come in last? Well, that’s because a recent survey for this year’s Consumer Privacy Trends Report showed how strongly users felt about all social media networks having the same policy for safeguarding privacy.
When users were asked to select the social media network they felt had the best online privacy, 43% of them said they felt no difference. Even more surprising was to see how 23% felt they had no clue.
In terms of separate platforms, we saw how Facebook garnered at least one in the ten votes generated, coming in at 12%. Meanwhile, Meta’s other family member Instagram took the second position with 7%. And that gave Meta a total of 19%.
It wouldn’t be wrong to say that such low figures are alarming, considering the fact that Facebook has a 69% presence with US users while Instagram is enjoyed by 40% of adults.
What about the other options, as you know, there are a number of leading apps in the market today. Well, TikTok earned very few votes, getting 3% of responses. However, that is increasingly shocking because it’s immensely popular as a video-sharing app around the world, especially after it took a boom after the pandemic.
Experts believe one of the main reasons why TikTok failed to be seen as a trustworthy app by respondents had to do with its Chinese origin and its much talked about the algorithm that many see as ‘addiction inspiring’.
All the results generated about mis-trusting social media apps were consistent when looking at all ages and genders. But we must note how there was a huge exception with the Gen Z consumers. They were the only ones who gave the least ‘not sure’ response when compared to the other age groups.
Read next: Multiple Device VPNs Aren’t As Useful As You Think: New Study Debunks VPN Myths