Apple released the latest version of its iPhone OS, iOS 14.6, today, Monday, May 24. This latest update (build number 18F72) introduces new features like unlocking your iPhone with Voice Control after a restart, Apple Card Family support for up to five people, and subscription support for shows in Podcasts.
While iOS 14.6 does introduce a number of new features and changes, it’s not nearly as major an update as iOS 14.5. That update brought over 60 fun features to iPhone, including more than 200 new emoji, support for PS5 and Xbox Series X controllers, and AirTag support, just to name a few.
Still, 14.6 is a notable update, and you should download it as soon as possible. Take a look at Apple’s features list below to know what to expect when your update is finished:
Apple Card Family
- Apple Card can be shared with up to five people, including anyone 13 years or older in your Family Sharing group
- Apple Card Family adds support for families to track expenses, manage spending with optional limits and controls, and build credit together
- Subscription support for channels and individual shows
AirTag and Find My
- Lost mode option to add an email address instead of a phone number for AirTag and Find My network accessories
- AirTag will show the partially masked phone number of the owner when tapped with an NFC-capable device
- Voice Control users can unlock their iPhone for the first time after a restart using only their voice
This release also fixes the following issues:
- Unlock with Apple Watch may not work after using Lock iPhone on Apple Watch
- Reminders may appear as blank lines
- Call blocking extensions may not appear in Settings
- Bluetooth devices could sometimes disconnect or send audio to a different device during an active call
- iPhone may experience reduced performance during startup
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
This update comes just three days after Apple released the second RC for iOS 14.6.
How to Download & Install iOS 14.6 on Your iPhone
To download iOS 14.6 on your iPhone, open Settings -> General -> Software Update. Wait for this page to load, then follow the on-screen instructions to download and install iOS 14.6. If you have “Automatic Updates” enabled, you can simply allow your iPhone to update overnight.
Keep Your Connection Secure Without a Monthly Bill. Get a lifetime subscription to VPN Unlimited for all your devices with a one-time purchase from the new Gadget Hacks Shop, and watch Hulu or Netflix without regional restrictions, increase security when browsing on public networks, and more.
Buy Now (80% off) >
Other worthwhile deals to check out: